Special Offers Available!
Call to purchase tickets:
Visit the Washington Pavilion
box office in person.
The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra and Chickasaw Composer Jerod Tate invite you to be part of the Music Composition Academy! The Music Composition Academy will serve as a catalyst for community in the Sisseton area while teaching students to express their creativity and write original music. Daily music composition lessons and activities will be part of the Music Composition Academy; with an emphasis on cultural understanding and finding human commonalities.
• Ages – high school through adult
• Must have a desire to learn about music and music composition.
• Basic knowledge of reading music (can read music in either bass or treble clef or tablature, knowledge of note values, rhythm, dynamics, etc.).
• Can play a musical instrument reasonably proficiently.
• Students must attend all days of academy including private lessons in music composition.
• Participate in an evaluation process.
There is no cost to attend the Music Composition Academy. Students must be committed to attending all activities to participate. Students will be provided with daily breakfast and lunch during the Music Composition Academy.
Students will have daily one-on-one composition lessons with Jerod Tate and at the conclusion of the music academy have a fully formed piece of music for either string quartet or wind quintet. Students will work and collaborate directly with the professional musicians of the SDSO who will give a public performance of their completed compositions.
8:30 Study, Composing, Individual Lessons
12:30 Composition Seminar with Jerod (Topics include Music History, Music Theory)
1:30 Study, Composing, Individual Lessons
3:00 Study, Composing, Individual Lessons
Optional evening activities will be scheduled for the group on two evenings.
September 14, 2017 Evening Rehearsal with the SDSO Dakota String Quartet (DSQ) and Dakota Wind Quintet (DWQ)
September 15 & 16, 2017 DSQ and DWQ performances
(Students are NOT required to attend all performances.)
• Complete application form and return to Sarah Burman-Schollmeyer at SDSO by June 5, 2017
• Participate in an in-person interview with Jerod Tate on a date TBD.
Composer Jerod Tate, in consultation with Maestro Delta David Gier, will choose the Academy participants. Participants will be announced by July 1, 2017. Jerod will choose 8 students to participate in the program.