Please show your continued support and care for the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra by donating to the 2016-17 Annual Fund. Your tax-deductible gift is crucial to the health and future of our organization. There are many ways to give to the symphony. Please contact our office at 605-335-7933 ext. 15 so that we may answer any of your questions.
Support from individuals and our business community made the following “firsts” possible during the 2015-16 season:
- In October 2015, we launched Memoirs, a Music as Medicine program in which retirement community residents narrate their own story with the help of our Dakota Wind Quintet.
- Our new Crescendo program provides free or reduced cost admission to students, young adults, and first-time attendees to Classical concerts. The program served 1,200 concert goers.
- Finally, the SDSO invested in our South Dakota Symphony Youth Orchestra (SDSYO) with the hire of its first full-time Music Director Chad Hutchinson. Since Maestro Hutchinson’s arrival, the SDSYO has participated in a leadership-development retreat, worked with the Minnesota Orchestra, and developed a five-year strategic plan to maximize its impact on the young musicians of our community.
In 2016-17, we will continue this trend of “firsts:”
- The SDSO will partner with Carnegie Hall and the Sioux Falls Public School District to bring Link Up, a recorder-based music education curriculum to our city. The program will culminate with all 1,800 Sioux Falls Public Schools 4th graders playing their recorders with the SDSO!
- In October 2016, the SDSO will launch Overture, a group for young professionals who share a love of music and a passion for learning.
- The SDSO will partner with the South Dakota Humanities Council to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Pulitzer Prize with John Luther Adams’ “Become Ocean” for the season’s opening concert on October 8th.
We look forward to our continued work together as we develop engaging programs that serve our unique community. Thank you for making the choice to continue supporting your South Dakota Symphony Orchestra.